We know you’ve all heard the buzz around turmeric, but have you really looked into all of it’s amazing benefits? We’ve jotted down a few of our favourite benefits & recipes to share with you.
Turmeric has been known for centuries for its anti-bacterial and antiseptic properties. It has active compounds called curcuminoids, the most important of which is Curcumin. It is the main active ingredient that makes it such a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant! It is now known to treat conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, Crohn’s Disease, psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis, just to name a few! Not only that, but turmeric can help you achieve a glowing complexion & even whiten your teeth!
Keep in mind… You will see the highest benefits by adding whole turmeric root to your recipes. If you wish to supplement with turmeric powder, be sure that you are purchasing high quality grade with high levels of curcumin. Before you buy, make sure you do your research.
1. Reduces Inflammation
This may be one of the most well known benefits of Turmeric — too often, inflammation is a silent killer, and most of us don’t even notice how inflammation creates havoc on our overall health. Turmeric works its magic to fight inflammatory conditions — It helps with everything from joint pain relief, arthritis, improving digestion, healing respiratory conditions to helping you achieve a glowing complexion! What’s not to love?!
2. Fights Infection
Turmeric has immune supporting properties — helping your body enhance its immune response to fight off the cold or flu or other infections!
3. Improves Digestion
Turmeric promotes healthy digestion by stimulating the product of bile in your body — this helps your body move all that food through your body while minimizing indigestion & bloating.
4. Anti-Aging Properties
Turmeric helps protect your body from free radicals, which can lead to oxidative stress on the body. Ultimately keep your beautiful complexion from aging!
USES & RECIPES:
Here are some tips & tools on how to add turmeric into your everyday wellness routine.
1. Add Black Pepper
- Add black pepper to all of your recipes, smoothies & wellness shots to help increase absorption.
2. Add Fat
- To get the most out of your turmeric boost, add an oil or take them with a meal that has fat/oil already in it. For a single serving we’d opt for 1/4 tsp of coconut oil or MCT oil!
- Studies have shown by heating turmeric root first, it can help increase absorption without degrading it
Golden Milk Turmeric Ginger Tea
The perfect morning ritual to add to your morning routine! There’s nothing better than easing into your day than starting it off with this golden cup of goodness.
What You Will Need:
- 3/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 Coconut Milk
- 2 Tsp Ground or Grated Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Cracked Pepper
- 1 Tsp Grated Ginger
- Honey to Taste (Optional)
- Bring water to a boil & slowly stir in the turmeric, ginger, & pepper.
- Reduce Heat to medium low & simmer for 10 minutes
- Add Coconut Milk & Honey to Sweeten (Optional)
When you think of shots, healthy is definitely the last thing that comes to your mind. Although, wellness shots are taking the wellness world by storm with different potions and recipes, so we decided to share our favourite! This turmeric shot recipe will definitely help give your immune system a boost, as well as kickstart your gut health & fight inflammation!
What You Will Need:
- Juicer (Or Blend & Strain for a Similar effect!)
- 4 inches Ginger Root
- 4 inches Turmeric Root*
- 2 Lemons
- 1/8 tsp Cracked Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 cup Water
*If your local grocery store is out of turmeric root, you can replace with 2 Tbsp of Turmeric Powder!
- Bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in a small pan. Once the water is boiling, add about 1/4 cup of turmeric root and boil it for 10 minutes. Remove turmeric & save the remaining liquid to add to the shots after it has cooled.
Hot Tip: By heating the turmeric first, it helps increase the absorption of curcumin — our essential ingredient!
- Add turmeric root, ginger root & lemons to the juicer
- Stir in cayenne, black pepper, & remaining cooled liquid from earlier!
Brooke & Jenna’s Golden Turmeric Smoothie
What You Will Need:
- 1 Cup Water
- Handful of Spinach, Kale or Romaine
- 1” Ginger Root
- 1” Turmeric Root
- 1 Cup Celery
- 1 Banana
- 1/2 Green Apple or 1/2 Cup Pineapple (Or Both!)
- 1/4 of Avocado
Add all the ingredients together & blend blend blend!
Serve, Sip & Enjoy!